Author Topic: VoiceAttack Unofficial v1.6.7.4 available (brave, but not as brave as last ver)  (Read 717 times)

Gary

• Administrator
Remember when I said to back up your VoiceAttack.dat file (in big red letters)?  I hope you did o_O  v1.6.7.2 & v1.6.7.3 *may* have discarded a little bit of your data (including the date value Pfeil found).  You *may* be able to get by with what you have currently, BUT, if you are the pack dev guys I would certainly revert to your backup and start over.

Surprisingly, it wasn't the persistence code... it was some, 'optimizations' that were made to speed things up in the other places.  Probably could have gotten by without changing over to what it is, but the speed increase was measurable.

My most sincere apologies and thanks.        PROGRESS!

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
Link to the unofficial release, for convenience: www.voiceattack.com/unofficial

it was some, 'optimizations' that were made to speed things up in the other places.
If you're looking for a career change, you could apply at the airlines. Planes take off much quicker when you leave some of the passengers behind :P

Better to laugh than to cry, I hope.

Gary

• Administrator

Gangrel

• Global Moderator
If you're looking for a career change, you could apply at the airlines. Planes take off much quicker when you leave some of the passengers behind :P

Better to laugh than to cry, I hope.

Explains everything that United Airlines has done recently then :0

TheThingIs

• Global Moderator
    • HCS Voicepacks
erm...

Can you be more specific about what might be wrong so I can check the profiles?

I did make a backup but then I have multiple .dats and have done a million things since
The Singularity profile - One profile to rule them all and here at HCS we bound them ;)

You see, TheThingIs, eventually you'll be allright.

mIRCon

Pfeil, would you please be so kind to just upgrade your current 1.6.7.3 to 1.6.7.4 and see if the problem you noticed has been remedied or remained the same?

Pfeil

• Global Moderator
  • RTFM
v1.6.7.4 keeps proper track of the command list, and the "date" value is stored properly, if that's what you're asking.

Anything that didn't get stored in the database by v1.6.7.3 is gone. There's no way to read data that doesn't exist anymore.

My v1.6.7.1 database was 3.159 megabytes in size, whereas that database rewritten by v1.6.7.4 is reduced to 1.21 megabytes.
I have no insight in the structure of the database, so I can only speculate that it has been optimized and/or compressed, provided there is no data loss that isn't immediately apparent.

I do feel it's worth pointing out that v1.6.7.2, v1.6.7.3, and v1.6.7.4 are not beta releases. They are "Unofficial" and potentially dangerous, as noted in the topics they were posted in.

TheThingIs

• Global Moderator
    • HCS Voicepacks
I know Pfeil, everything is indeed backed up...I was just trying to save redoing a few hours of work I'd done whilst using these...cos like a numpty I never thought to switch back to a std build :)
The Singularity profile - One profile to rule them all and here at HCS we bound them ;)

Gary

• Administrator
This all had to do with the way VA sets up commands when they are edited.  Not all the info was being copied over, so when you loaded up the screens to edit, values would be blank.  I reviewed all the values that are copied, and the only value that should have been blank was the date value for, 'set a date'.  There were a few other values that were not coming across, but they were internal, instanced values and I don't believe that they will have any impact on your profiles.  The only values that should have been affected were the ones in commands that were edited, and any action where you are setting an exact date value.  This is highly unlikely, as there is probably exactly one user out there using it (Pfeil), and only because he's a glorious, golden machine man superhero :)

So, given that, it's probably not as bad as I was thinking.  However, without completely pulling the code apart and seeing what might have gotten munched I'm not 100% certain.  It's up to you at this point... if you were using any actions where you set an exact date/time and you edited the containing command, you may want to consider using your backup.

Everything seems pretty stable at the moment... I've been using my WoW profile for a few days and it hasn't wigged out.  There will probably be a beta release this morning some time once I wake up lol.

TheThingIs

• Global Moderator
    • HCS Voicepacks
that's cool...the main hcs profiles are all safe and I'll re import them when this build is stable...what I was working on is storybook galaxy which is a small enough profile for me to spot any issues with. No worries :)

Lensman

does the new build allow for larger sized .dat files overall? I have a .dat file that is 151 mb, and am just wondering.............

Gangrel

• Global Moderator
does the new build allow for larger sized .dat files overall? I have a .dat file that is 151 mb, and am just wondering.............

How many commands is in that....

Gary

• Administrator
If VA can load it, it should load faster.  You'll need to load it up at least once and then modify a command (add a comment or something) and then click, 'done'.  Make sure to back up your .dat file first, though (although the beta covers the minor data loss issue introduced in the, 'unofficial' version... still good to back up your .dat no matter what).

mIRCon

Better to ask how many profiles, copies of them and variations are in that .dat :) I bet even Lensman can't count them all :D

Lensman

Better to ask how many profiles, copies of them and variations are in that .dat :) I bet even Lensman can't count them all :D

it has been a few months, voice attack updates, .dat file corruptions, etc., so it's a bit hard to remember......